Sent: Friday, September 16, 2005 9:10
Subject: Re: [MOPO] random inspection of a persons mail

Why I am even commenting on this I don't know because I will regret it.  I
talked to the postmaster person here in Lansing where all mail for the state
(except Detroit) is collected and routed.  He said post offices are not allowed
to randomly open peoples mail to check for proper postal class of mailing.
Neither are insured items delivered to a neighbor if it was the type of insurance
where the mailer received a numbered receipt.  The person to whom it is
addressed or their representative has to sign for it and show id.  This is for the
post office's and the recipients protection.
  I believe you get what you pay for at the post office.  Handling is by hand
or by machine depending on the service you select.  ie: how much you pay.
Picking the cheapest service gets the lowest level of care in handling.

In a message dated 9/14/2005 11:29:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,