Jim

Regardless of John's intentions of good, he does indeed deserve a certain amount of derision for his role in both the Dracula window card and most particularly the Dracula 1sheet.

How he missed the Drac window card is one of the great mysteries of our hobby in recent days, especially as if he had caught it at that moment:

1) It would never have been auctioned
2) we would have known about the fraud 6-8 months earlier
3) Profiles in History's reputation would not have been besmirched

The facts are that he restored both of these items and it flies in the face of common sense to say that "I missed these fakes, but I can certainly authenticate posters". In one case he even would "bet his life (sic)" and in at least one instance that I was told (privately, ergo I cannot give more info) he pronounced an authentic lobby card as a forgery.

Listen.. as a restorer, John is top-notch. He is among the elite of poster restoration artists. As an authenticator, his abilities are clearly lacking and his lack of hubris on the issue of the Dracula S2Art poster, in my opinion, did not help him any. When that came to light, there wasn't one person I spoke to the day the catalog came out WITH JOE PROUDLY PROCLAIMING THE AUCTION OF THE POSTER ON THE COVER OF THE POSTER JOHN HAD AUTHENTICATED who believed as John did that the poster was real and immediately people like Richard Evans, Sean, Todd and myself began a trek to debunk the piece, which was fairly easy. But John still proclaimed "i'd bet my life".. A certain critique is deserved, and I think Todd has been reasonably fair in his criticism.

That said, if Todd still supports Jaime, or Kerry.. well that deserves some critique as well, although Jaime does ameliorate some of his participation by having come to court and elucidating his participation to the benefit of all those who have been screwed, and even you support Jaime in that regard. Kerry of course deserves nothing but disdain and excommunication within the hobby and whatever the authorities have planned for him as well.

As far as restoration, from what I have seen, I recommend John Davis highly, just as I do Diane Jeffrey, Carol Tincup or Lee Milazzo (Poster Conservation).. As an authenticator, John is definitely not where I would go

Rich