Platt, I am glad that you refer me back to my very favourite passage in Lila
(one that I discussed at length in a mysticism thread which you took no part
in), but the advice I have for you is "slow down".

Attend.

My cherished "as if" *is* just this settling for "something less pure" that
RMP speaks of.  If I were purist and "doctrinare" about the avoidance of
metaphysical fiction I would be advocating the closing of the regency
theatres,  banishment of iconography and popery, wearing of black, and the
exiling of the poets and writers - starting with those who talk openly about
metaphysics - i.e. myself.  But as a matter of self-evident fact I'm *not*
insisting that we stop our metaphysical story telling - nor is Pirsig.  Nor
am I saying that metaphysics is a limited local indulgence that we can purge
ourselves of.  That wrongful extention of the mystic objection to
metaphysics would be the thesis of Wittgenstein, and it is one of the main
reasons why I disagree with him, and prefering RMP and Iris Murdoch as heirs
to Plato's all embracing metaphysics.  It is a given than metaphysics isn't
describing the mystic reality.  But what you then do about this depends on
whether you think there's any other game in town apart from metaphysics.
That's an important fact that you have to factor in to your understanding of
the "mystic objection to metaphysics" - the whole import of the objection
depends on this.  I say, Pirsig says, Murdoch says, that Metaphysics is
unavoidable - it is all around us.  The mystic must face facts.  Metaphysics
being unavoidable, the thing to do is to do metaphysics in as high a quality
way as possible, and part of that is remembering the "as if".

It certainly isn't higher quality to remove an "as if" which belongs there.
I never saw an actor, however high-quality his acting, go on TV to say that
he *really is* Hamlet, and that he boarding a plane to go and lead Danmark
in a war against Sweden.  Nutcases excluded.  Do you think that he would be
a better actor if he did try to take command of the Danish military? Perhaps
- after all we must try to remove the troublesome "as if", mustn't we?

Platt, I'm trying to remind you, as Pirsig tries to remind you, that these
metaphysical stories about atoms (the "creative metaphysics" I talked about)
can only have any positive value if we recognise that they *are* stories: if
we remember the "as if".  If we take them for reality, then all our
metaphysical tales will take us further and further from the truth, rather
than nearer.  Not even the Wizard of Oz can teach you anything of value, if
you are incapable of separating fiction and fact.

Does that give you any reason to begin addressessing the points I made about
the poor quality and incoherence of your tales? For example, perhaps you
would like to address the point I made earlier about only awareness of SQ
being comparable atom-to-scientist, and the way this scuppers your argument
for the atomic-awareness thesis, which is entirely based on DQ. Or would you
rather find some story which creatively satisfies your need to disregard
what I write?  Perhaps you will resort to another malformed argument from
authority?

OK.

Elephant