I know what you mean.  If we ever get of theory and start to think about
applying the word 'compassionate' to a particular act, lets remember that
what you describe, by definition, isn't compassion proper.  It's just a
pretence - not *actually* aimed at seving the other but only *appearing* to
be so aimed.