Hi Platt - You asked:
PLATT:
Marty, I have read much the same as you in the Buddhist literature about
compassion, based I believe on what Elephant properly describes as
the enlightened experience of Oneness or Self with a capital S. Having
like you never been enlightened to the best of my knowledge, I must
bow to the testimony of those who have. Since we appear to be in the
same state of unenlightenment, I wonder how you react to my
comments above about compassion as it pertains to a divided world
that most of us experience. Incidentally, I agree with Elephant’s
assertion that one need not spend years in meditation under the
tutelage of a swami to become enlightened to the fact that reality exists
prior to the self/other division. But, having realized that, where does that
leave us in guiding our daily lives?

My response:

Certainly everyone who claims to be compassionate is not what we would
consider to be 'enlightened', which is why I disagree with Elephant's
equation of enlightenment with compassion; all enlightened people may be
compassionate, but not all compassionate people are enlightened.  Now you
could argue that those who use compassion towards their own ends are not
really compassionate, and you would have a good argument, but for the
purpose of general language usage, they would APPEAR to be compassionate.
But that is the trivial question, the real meat is in your point about the
result of all this compassion in the world - what good does it do us?

It is my opinion that if one is TRULY enlightened in the sense we have been
discussing, and not just using compassion / helping others as a way to help
themselves, than a true positive effect in the world would be the result.
One would be compassionate not for the benefit it might bring, whether
emotional or physical, but because it is the only action that makes sense -
not because 'to ignore the suffering in others is to ignore the suffering in
one's self' but because to ignore suffering does not decrease the suffering
that exists.

But this doesn't answer your question; "Given the divided world most of us
experience, how does the compassion of the enlightened help us in guiding
our daily lives?"

The only answer I can give to this question relates back to the pursuit of
Dynamic Quality - if we can break out of the static patterns of behavior
that routinely hold us back and look at the world as it really is AND ACT
ACCORDINGLY, then perhaps we can have a positive effect on the world around
us.  I believe no matter what we read, learn or intuit won't help anybody
until we actually DO something, and that real action IS Dynamic Quality,
with no need for names, referents or explanations.  We can learn from the
experiences of those who have been touched by enlightenment;  we can learn
from their example of living, but it only means something if we do more than
learn and do something about it - and that 'doing something' is dynamic.

There is much more to be said, but I must be on my way.  The search
continues...

marty j