Platt, thanks for the reply:

> From: "Platt Holden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Therefore it follows that compassion is merely what anyone in his right
> mind would hold as a high value since to ignore the pain and suffering
> of another is, in reality, to ignore the suffering of one’s self.  But wait a
> minute. That can’t be. There is no self.  How do you express the moral
> value of compassion in world where individual selves do not exist?

ELEPHANT:
In a nutshell: the important distinction that I have laboured is between the
person and the soul.  It is the person that is for most purposes the 'self',
and which compassion aims at transcending in the one who is being
compassionate.  And when one aims at being compassionate, the 'self' of the
other that one is aiming at serving is most certainly not the person.  That
would be like calling a doctor compassionate if he did everything in his
power to aid the fever (image from Plato).

You need to think a bit more about 'self' and what this actually denotes, -
not always the same thing: hence the confusion in your argument (a fallacy
of equivocation).  The self is the main Moq Focus topic running at the mo,
BTW.