A Proper question Platt.  I should say that there is a tiny bit of both:
testimony of others (Simone Weil, Iris Murdoch, Buddhism, even Pirsig), and
'personal' experience.  Remember: all that this personal experience needs to
amount to is the realisation that subjects and objects are not the first
cut.  I should say that this is pretty much co-determinate with ceasing to
be selfish, and one can test (in ones own case) howmuch one has translated
an intellectual insight into a heartfelf certainty by just this fact.

Or so it seems to me.

Elephant