> So the point is that if you come up against resistance don't be
> surprised. It will happen every time you try to introduce what
you
> see as quality. Untill it becomes a habit and then you won't
> care what others think. Like Pirsig.

Resistance doesn't necessarily come from introducing what you
see as quality, but from the level of force people use to introduce
what they see as quality - "every action results in an equal and
opposite reaction" doesn't just apply to (pardon the expression)
objects.

Shalom

David Lind
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Mangiola Nunzio         arivia.kom wrote:

> It seems like you tried to introduce into the classroom what I
tried
> many years ago and I like you ended up with the same results.
>
> I don't think Pirsig mentioned anything on the death penalty or
> any form of incarceration. (Besides that of being declared
insane)

> The fact is that you cannot treat the MOQ like the bible. It is not
> a system full of rules. You could say that it is a system of
anti-rule.
> Why? Because it is stated time and time again that quality
cannot
> be defined. Also that quality (of that moment) is defined by the
individual.
> So you saying that the death penalty is an immoral act others
would
> differ. You must also relies that you evolution as a human
being
> might be far ahead (or overhead) of your classmates and by
the
> sound of it your teacher as well. You are not in school to bring
> new thoughts and ideas. Most Universities don't even
encourage it.
> You are in school to have a whole bunch of facts shoved into
your
> head and then you must give it back in a way that it sounds like
> it was your original thinking.
>
> So the point is that if you come up against resistance don't be
> surprised. It will happen every time you try to introduce what
you
> see as quality. Untill it becomes a habit and then you won't
> care what others think. Like Pirsig.
>
> > ----------
[EMAIL PROTECTED][SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

penalty and i spent

> > about six or seven minutes (the entire thing was twenty, the
requirement
> > was
> > 5-6) giving a very basic explanation of the moq- the four
levels, and how
> > it
> > relates to the death penalty.  the main point i tried to stress
was the
> > idea
> > of human beings as 'collections of thought,' and therefore
inextricably
> > tied
> > to the intellectual level, making society's removal of them an
immoral
> > act,
> > society being a lower level of evolution than intellectual.
maybe these
> > kids' parents are all staunch colonel blimps or something,
because when i
> > got
> > done, everyone attacked me with their belief that they need to
see closure

> > and that even if the person commiting the crime was a minor,
they should
> > still be executed and everything.  that was all simply emotion
though, and
> > defended it pretty well, but what i want to know is where
exactly does
> > emotion and personal conviction tie into the moq?  if i can
prove
> > logically
> > the folly of the death penalty in contemporary society, (i used
plenty of
> > statistics about wrongful deaths, the failure of it to reduce
crime, the
> > prejudicing against minorities, etc.) why do people still cling
to their
> > views harder than ever?  it's not like i expected to change
their minds or

> > anything, but it seemed like they didnt even think about what i
said
> > before
> > attacking me.  how does pirsig define emotional attachment
within the moq?

> > im new here, and this whole death penalty thing has
probably been brought