Not too many years ago, when I was teaching in a multiage primary
classroom, the Frog and Toad books were standard second grade fare. It
is very sad how everything is getting pushed down in a frenzy of the
search for "rigor".... as though pushing everything to a lower grade
will somehow result in higher achievement. At its very basic level of
logic, that doesn't even make sense, except to those who define
learning as something you give to someone else. I just can't go there.

Renee

On Mar 12, 2007, at 4:56 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Sorry I'm so late to respond.  Do not go with Scott Foresman.   Our
> district
> has it.   I'm a first grade teacher and the reading level  isn't
> appropriate
> for the middle or low students.  In January, my students  were to read
> Frog and
> Toad.  Most were not ready for  a J reading  level.  The leveled
> readers
> appear to look good, however, when you begin to  use them, the lower
> level readers
> are meant to be read together because your low  students can't read
> them.
> They are almost all expository text so I need to  supplement to
> discuss story
> elements.  I can't think of one positive thing  to say about the
> program.  The
> spelling is to hard.  Kindergarten does  all the short vowels and my
> students
> are struggling to grasp long vowels.   There phonics component is weak
> even if
> they say you need to practice more in  groups.  Also, this program
> wants you
> to teach reading mostly in  groups.  There is a lot of copying of
> decodable
> readers.
>
> My students are inner-city students and they are having a hard time
> mastering skills that used to be taught in 2nd grade.
>
> Please look closely at the program before you buy it.  The support
> they
> promise is lacking also.  They sit and talk to us, but they are of
> little help.
> I am very disappointed, because I liked there other  program.  They
> don't like
> Fountas and Pinnell's guided reading.
>
> I would not recommend this program to anyone.  This is our first year,
>  and
> all the teachers K-5 are counting down till we can select another
> program.
>
> Hope this helps.
> free
> email to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from AOL at
> http://www.aol.com.
> mosaic_literacyworkshop.org.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit
atrocities."
~ Voltaire