> Thanks, Bill, for your view of a middle school.  When you still functioned
> as a middle school, how often and for how long did your teams meet?
>
> Are your goals for yourself or for the students?  I'm thinking "I'd like
> to how a web site," seems more like your goal.  "More than 80% of my
> students will read for their own pleasure," seems more like a goal for the
> students.
> Jan

Teams met informally every day with emails and hallway comments, but
officially once a week.  Once a team is established, everything runs
smoothly and quickly.

Goals are for both.  I expect each to read on grade level with a mental
speed of about 250-300 wpm and an oral speed of about half that.  I ask
students what they want help with regards to improving their reading and
base student goals on that so each student has their own goals.  My goal
overall is to help them to think for themselves, read better, and to rethink
everything they've learned.  I want them to learn to ask questions,
regardless of whether they get an answer or even if they get more than one
answer.  In short, I want them to be better human beings.  There's a quote I
keep over my bulletin board that says "The secret to enjoying life is to
have an interest in it." and another by the door that says, "Education is
about making a life, not making a living."  Both remind me of my foremost
goals for my kids...

Bill