I modeled for at least one week before beginning to chart.  Then I would
initiate modeling with a text and invite the students to join me in my
thinking.  At the same time, I introduced the strategy into guided reading
and strategic reading groups with varying degrees of independence depending
on the children.  I also issued invitations at this point, for example
leaving some stickies with a symbol for the strategy (like the ones I used
when modeling and when working with my small groups) and issued the
invitation for any interested students to apply the strategy in their
independent reading.  After the strategy had been introduced to all small
groups, I usually used a partnered reading activity around the strategy
before requiring students to give it a try independently.  At this point,
there were often 2-3 children who continued to need monitoring and higher
levels of support.  I guess that what I am saying is, slow teaching making a
difference.

Lori

On 9/28/07 6:17 AM, "Kendra Carroll" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I just returned from maternity leave. My sub taught from the basal.  I have
> started reading workshop and I am going over tools we use and how to choose
> books on our level. However, I am finding that many of my students do not
> understand that how to record their thinking or realize what it means. I ahve
> done some modeling. I was wondering how you break it down specifically or if
> you have any tips that I might use. I feel like I am still getting my feet wet
> teaching using this model.
>
> ________________________________

Lori Jackson
District Literacy Coach & Mentor