From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Heather Wall
Sent: Thu 9/27/2007 7:56 PM
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] (no subject)

Melissa,

I always devoted the first 3 weeks of school to a study of metacognition and
saturating my class in strategy talk. I basically wanted them to realize that
this class was different from other classes/teachers they might have had and
that the important thing in here was their thinking. We talked about justifying
our thoughts, having evidence, and the different types of thinking
(connections, questions, inferences, etc.). There are some great lessons on the
tools page about helping kids listen to their metacognitive voice, their
"little me" that sits on their shoulder while they read and makes comments.  I
spent a brief week discussing each of the comp. strategies, then after the 3
weeks was up and I'd "set the stage" so to speak, I backed up and we worked on
connections and schema for 4-6 weeks. I spent about that much time on each of
the strategies, so I really just got another unit on questioning done before
Christmas break