> Canned programs are easier for the teacher but not the best avenues for
> unique individuals.

Google Mem Fox "Like mud, Not Fireworks" which is a great essay on the
importance of the Teacher and not the program.....

"Although I'm a passionate advocate of whole language I believe it's
perfectly possible for whole language to fail in the hands of a rude,
thoroughly nasty teacher who hates children. Similarly, although I feel that
the teaching of phonics outside meaningful texts is the least efficient way
to teach reading, I believe absolutely that a joyful, enthusiastic,
experienced teacher who uses phonics and only phonics, will nevertheless
have a large measure of success in teaching her students to read. That's the
influence of the affective."  -Mem Fox

Bill