Renee
I think you and I may have gone around on this before but let me  be devil's
advocate here...we are teaching reading, are we not? We are not  teaching a
book or a story. And, in my mind, reading is procedural knowledge...a  process,
not an end product. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't  matter if a kid
understands  a particular book. ( I will leave that  to the secondary English
teachers.) I don't care if at age 40 the  child can remember all the details
of a particular story he read in second  grade. What I want him to have is a
set of strategies he can use when he is not  understanding something. Reading
is a tool used to gain understanding about text  and through that text, the
world. If we don't assess whether or not a child can  visualize, how will we
know
whether or not he will have that tool when he needs  it?

Having said this, I understand we can go around the bend too far with
strategies. Comprehension is the end point...I understand  that, but I worry if
we
don't look at how the kid got there we are  missing something. If a child never
needs to stretch and use a strategy now and  then, perhaps we aren't
providing them with enough challenge.

I have come to the point where I look at both things in my class. Does the
child understand what he just read? AND Does he know what to do when he finds
something he doesn't understand and can he apply the strategy effectively?
Just my humble opinion...
Jennifer

In a message dated 10/13/2007 12:17:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,