> I have come to the point where I look at both things in my class. Does the
> child understand what he just read? AND Does he know what to do when he
> finds
> something he doesn't understand and can he apply the strategy effectively?
> Just my humble opinion...
> Jennifer

There's the other extreme where kids are learning to read, but not feel
anything about the reading.  I know we've had this discussion before about
enjoying reading, but I do feel that if there is no emotional input or
connection from the kids, there is no learning.

Mine can read a book and comprehend it, but they have no emotional
connection to the story.  We've read a sad story, a love story, and I'm
trying to get them to feel something, but many don't make a connection to it
beyond mentally noting it.  I finally got them to think about what they put
into the story, and they all said just enough to get by.  We talked about
doing their best and wrote an essay about what was important in their lives.
The essays were incredible!  Middle schoolers pouring their hearts and minds
out with emotion and soul.  Now I'm going to try and get them to transfer
that energy into their reading...."What will you take from this story to add
to your schema?"

Bill