Oh Boy, if I could chime in on this...I think that we need to cover both
ends of the spectrum.  Kids need to make connections to their  reading.
Whether
that be text to text, text to self, or text to  world.  If they don't connect,
they don't care and if they don't care, they  don't comprehend (as much).
Yes, reading is teaching strategies, but we  can't forget the passion of
reading.  Sometimes it takes a great book or  topic or author to get a kid to
jump on
the reading wagon.  If you don't  look for that piece in a book or novel, you
run the risk of losing  someone.  My son is in third grade and his recent DRA
is a 24.   BUT...he just discovered A Diary of a Wimpy Kid.  I have never,
NEVER seen  him read a book without crying about it first. And... he doesn't
have a learning  disability.  He just isn't a reader.  Until now.  He loves
it.
If this book helps him to hone some of those strategies that we want  him to
achieve then...God bless Wimpy Kids!
Michele