risk of losing  someone.  My son is in third grade and his recent DRA
>is a 24.   BUT...he just discovered A Diary of a Wimpy Kid. .God bless Wimpy
>Kids!
>Michele

You have to get him, The CAT on the MAT IS FLAT, then! All the readers in my
class who loved "Wimpy" also loved this much quicker read by Andy Griffiths.
It's nine stories, and one of my favorites is "BILL and PHIL AND THE VERY BIG
HILL."

There are  students choosing to be non-readers up and down the spectrum that
just need the right books put in their hands. Over the last two years there are
3 sets of series books that have really done that for my upper primary readers:

The SISTERS GRIMM series by Michael Buckley. (There are 4 so far. Book 5 is
coming in December. There will be 9. He's signed a movie deal.) We have about
200 kids, bridging two teaching levels, who can't wait until December. Read
Book One alous (The Fairy Tale Detectives)  and you will hook many readers.

Author P.W. Catanese has a series of 4 books that extend fairy tales....like
when Jack of Jack and the beanstalk became an old man living back down on
earth. ( new little thief gets quite an adventure.) This series motivated 3 of
my most reluctant boy readers. Catanese will respond (answer questions) to any
class & teacher reading one of his books aloud.

The MAYBIRD series (Jodi Anderson) is another that convinced one young student
of mind it might be okay to be seen reading...as long as you made sure to
continue to tell your teacher at least once a week that you don't like school,
or reading. She came to me every day to keep me updated as she was trying to
clarify what in the world (literally) was going on in this book. She got a
"conference" out of me on a daily basis! (She went on to middle level, but I
made sure to buy the third book in this trilogy a few weeks ago, and she's
reading it now.)

A long time ago Sharon Taberski wrote, and spoke, about how important it is to
manage classrooms so that teachers are spending their times in book stores
looking for books for their readers, instead of home grading papers! I took her
advice!

john