---- Beverlee Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It's hard to sell the "inadvertant message" idea if we're listening to them
> read with a stopwatch in our hand.  Grrrr.

 That is sort of where my theory arose.  I noticed when I stopped doing fluency
timings and starting focusing on enjoying the book, talking about what is
happening, etc, students began to talk about comprehension and to enjoy
reading.  I had one struggling student who took a great leap in fluency after
six months of NOT reading aloud or doing any timings...Sometimes, I suspect,
our over-emphasis (or even small emphasis) on timing reading and reading aloud
can mislead student priorities.  The reason I theorize basals and such (testing
probably) have lead primary classes into inadvertantly creating word callers is
that I have had more word callers in my upper grade classes in the last few
years as testing and fluency has grown in emphasis.  Plus, it seems like I am
having to work much harder to get children to LIKE books than I have in the
past.  It could be just my school though.

:)Bonita