Renee,
This is one of the main reasons I don't "panic" when some of my student score
poorly on exams. I'm an early childhood educator first (I thought pre-k for 20
years before becoming a 2nd grade teacher) and ALL my training for 4-5 year
olds helped me understand the 7-8 year old. They are in the same developmental
stage!! I teach very differently than many of my colleagues. However, I must
say that the age "range" for this pre-operational period (Piaget) is 2-8 and so
I see many light bulbs going off all year long. But when they don't for a
particular child, I just look at the learning that comes before and work on
that. I experienced this ten-fold in 1st grade. They are so young and can only
make the connections they are developmentally ready for. But, who listens???
Debbie