When I give a book to the child, I remind them before reading that the first
thing I will ask is for them to retell the book.  When they're done reading, I
say, "Now please retell the book you just read.  Tell me everything you
remember."
We have checklists (some teacher made) that go along with each story.  As the
child says something, we mark it down/check it off/document language.
The issue that we're working on now is how to determine what's satisfactory.
Is it 8 of 10?  Or all main ideas w/5 details?  That's where teacher judgement
comes into play.
We also don't give any clues, but I allow the student to look at the cover of
the book -- not inside.  If they ask, I let them review the story again
(picture walk) before beginning their retell.
I'm not sure I answered your question ... ?

Sheila