The question was:  But would you all agree that a student who does perform well
on DIBELS is equipped to move forward on literacy instruction that focuses on
deep comprehension?

I wish I could - but I can't.  I do agree that a student who is fluently
reading a selection will be better able to focus on meaning.  However, I would
also agree that a student LISTENING TO a selection can focus on deep
comprehension.

Unfortunately, I have seen students (and not just a few) who can decode and
speak words very quickly and accurately (which is what DIBELS measures after
all) with little to no comprehension.  If you haven't had a chance to read
Rereading Fluency by Bess Altwerger and others, you would enjoy thinking about
what she says.  She documents research showing that some students'
comprehension is handicapped by their "fluency" (speed); all their efforts go
to reading quickly instead of comprehending.  Interesting stuff.  What we need
now is research replicating that which she presented.