Lori,  thank you for breaking your no work until July rule.  I am going to be
teaching K for the first time next year and have been wanting to post but
didn't know what to say.  Your post and all those who have responded are giving
me a direction in which to start my summer reading.  I have a few questions.

1. You said that you "have been SLOWLY trying to break out of the "letter of
the week" system that my team uses".  Our teachers have always used this model
but I didn't want to.  We have the fundations program by Wilson.  I have not
looked at it that much for K. My thinking was to use a reading/writing workshop
model and incorporate this into it.  How have you tried to not do a letter a
week?

2. I too taught first grade for 3 years and 2nd grade last year.  I have never
taught K.  What advice would you and others give me?

3. I have veteran teachers in my county that think K can't learn reading
comprehension strategies.  Do you start these at the beginning like you did in
1st after introducing certain fundamentals of reading workshop.  I know that
with K you have to build knowledge of print concepts and books.  I have used
Debbie Miller's book in the past to guide my reading comprehension instruction.
 I am also currently reading To Understand.

Thanks for helping me,
Kendra