Kendra,

K teachers in my school do not do letter of the week at all!  They also do not
use fundations.  They are using reading and writing wokshop entirely and
meeting children for guided reading in groups using Jan Richardson's approach
to Guided Reading.  It is working great!  I teach 2nd grade and we are seeing a
much higher percentage of students coming to first and second grade on graed
level because of the great work they are doing in K.  I am also one of the
reading coaches at my school.  Some of the teachers had a very hard time moving
away from letter of the week. Once they saw the difference  and what their
children were capable of doing they have not looked back.

Good luck,
Susan/TN