Try accessing David Middlebrook's  textmapping site.... My way of  thinking
is that if you understand the genre in terms of its literal structure  (story
map for nonfiction, conventions of non-fiction) and you understand the  purpose
the author has in mind for writing a nonfiction piece ...the inferences
about that text become very visible....

Textmapping , noticing the lay of the textural land, in fact makes all the
strategies easier to access ...and you can depend on finding those strategies
often in the very same place in the text depending on the genre. Try it....
its  fun and its revealing.

For example, in fiction, you can get visual images and inferences and
connections about the setting usually in the beginning of a  fiction story
.That's
the make-up of a fiction text... to acquaint the  reader quickly with the
plot... and often leads are built around introducing  character and setting....
way
before any real event occurs. In nonfiction, you  can start to develop your
inferences as Lori says right in the table of contents  ... even before you
read the piece. That's because the convention an author  employs in nonfiction
is
a table of contents so you can read where your interest  lies... not
necessarily the whole piece. If you keep driving the point home that  readers
think
before, during, and after the text..... and they know what to  expect in terms
of literary structure.... the kids automatically start applying  these
comprehension strategies with a nudge from you. Finally, what really  drives
the point
home is when the kids themselves become the authors and have to  set up their
text according to genre layout.... that's when you see them get  fluid with
the strategies... at least in my opinion.

By the by.... I teach first and by the end of the year, I feel many first
graders can examine text in terms of comprehension strategies with both
views.... from a reader's lens and from a writer's lens..... only difference is
 that
we use guided level texts that are easier to access..Are we perfect... no
way... we are only six and seven.... but most observers say... I can't believe
they are only six and seven.

Of course, our real work is based on so many resources including the
wonderful insights I have gleaned from this listserv ...and a big portion of my

understanding also came from textmapping... I guess it is because I am a visual

learner and I can "see" how  textmapping works... Thanks all!

Pam

In a message dated 12/9/2008 7:40:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,