The best lesson that I have ever done to get my kids to really  understand
inferences was the trash bag lesson from Tanny McGregor's book  Comprehension
Connections.

In a message dated 12/10/2008 8:05:09 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Mary-
I was just introduced to a neat idea to teach inferencing. If  you cut out
strips from magazines, about 1 inch thick, have your students  infer what the
picture is representing by drawing the rest of the picture and  writing what it
is about.

Carrie Kotula
Third Grade  Teacher
Buford Academy

________________________________

From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Mary Manges
Sent: Wed  12/10/2008 5:30 AM
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email  Group
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] making inferences using  nonfiction

I'm struggling with getting my fifth graders to  understand
inferences.  We finally played charades yesterday to  demonstrate that
they are inferring, they just don't realize it.  I  made them write the
inference, the background knowledge and (in this case)  visual clues
that helped them to know what the person was acting  out.  It seemed to
really help them.  When they went back to  their seats for ind. reading
time they were FINALLY making more inferences  than I had witnessed all
week.  It just seemed to make it click and  they thought it was fun.

Mary  Manges
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Children grow into the intellectual life  around them."
-Vygotsky