From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Mary Manges
Sent: Wed 12/10/2008 5:30 AM
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] making inferences using nonfiction

I'm struggling with getting my fifth graders to understand
inferences.  We finally played charades yesterday to demonstrate that
they are inferring, they just don't realize it.  I made them write the
inference, the background knowledge and (in this case) visual clues
that helped them to know what the person was acting out.  It seemed to
really help them.  When they went back to their seats for ind. reading
time they were FINALLY making more inferences than I had witnessed all
week.  It just seemed to make it click and they thought it was fun.

Mary Manges
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Children grow into the intellectual life around them."
-Vygotsky