>From the year I was "born again" into whole whole language (after 20 years
on the road....we moved 18 times due to my exhusband's military career and I
never had time to really learn to teach though I did some things right)....
I have been whole language in all my many and various teaching experiences
including higher ed/teacher ed over the next 25 years and still going
strong.  Whole language is a way of life and learning and a perspective on
the world and all it contains - not just teaching.  Though I must say
teaching is my calling, one of the centers of my life.  It is never a static
place to rest either - always dynamic and growing.

Those who fall prey to the whole language versus phonics "supposed"
dichotomy have no real understanding of whole language.  Wish they would
take the time to inquire more deeply.  I've spent a lot of time reading
about and understanding a variety of theoretical (and enacted) approaches
and believe I can really explain how they fit into my theoretical
perspective and/or I can explain in some depth why they don't but still try
to understand why and where and when they work.  They are just not as
inclusive - and that goes for the sometimes unwillingness to explore a broad
range of research and perspectives.

Wow - think I just got up on my soap box.  Know I am mostly preaching to the
choir.

A suggestion re the way we fall prey to frames and metaphors that trap us
sometimes.  I suggest that we give concrete vivid examples of what our
practice actually looks like....and continue sharing children's stories.
>From whatever perspective.  Not just say phonics for example.  Some lately
work" I do through the years.... A valuable part of growth in literacy.  The
phonics I hate oversimplifies and is taken out of context and occurs in one
size fits all and on and on.  We may all be talking right past each other at
least some of the time.

Sally

On 7/23/09 5:06 AM, "drmarinac...@aol.com" <drmarinac...@aol.com> wrote:

 Maybe we should begin a whole language umbrella again..I still consider
> myself a whole language teacher...and I teach graduate school:)

Mena