Darlene
I also teach 6th grade reading. I teach everything from Intensive Reading for
students 3 years below grade level to advanced reading and I do assign reading
homework. What I found that works better for me than a separate reading log is
to use the students' daily planner.

My reading homework is this: read for 20 minutes M-Th, the reading can be a
reading assignment in one of their content area books (Geography,Science etc),
the newspaper, a magazine, a self-selected book from home or a book they
selected from my in-class library.  While I would like to assign a longer
period of reading homework time, I didn't want the requirement to seem so
"onerous" that I wouldn't get much compliance. I also wanted to give them a
variety of choices as the what to read. I would rather my students read for a
20 minute period than ask for 30 or more and get nothing.

I asked the parents to initial each night in the planner that the student read
for 20 minutes. I checked the planners every Friday for a grade. I started this
the second week of school. I first sent home a "homework notice" that the
parent was required to sign so that they knew my homework expectations. I had
that homework requirement posted on my whiteboard, I reminded my students every
Thursday that I was checking their planner the next day.

If a student lost their planner, I would accept a note from the parent until
the planner was replaced.
Once students (and parents) realized that I was serious about checking the
planner every Friday and that their son/daughter was getting a grade (5 points
a night) I would say I had about 75-90% participation depending upon the class
or week. Of course there were the few who almost never had their planner
signed, but I think it wouldn't have mattered what the homework was, it
wouldn't get done.

If a student forgot to get the planner signed, I would give half-credit on
Monday. If a student read Friday morning or over the weekend, I would give them
credit for that time as well. So a student could actually earn 25 or 30/20
points for reading. This was very motivating for some students.

After a period of time with no parent signatures and poor homework grades,
sometimes I would get an angry email from a parent telling me their
son/daughter had read but that THEY (the parent) had forgotten to sign the
planner. I told my parents, the homework consisted of 2 parts, 1. read for 20
minutes each night, 2. get a parent/guardian signature. I would put the
responsibility for the signature on the student, not the parent.

Twice a grading period (every 6 weeks), my students have to take either an
online Reading Counts comprehension quiz on a book they have read, or if there
is no quiz complete a book report.

Any written response I want them to do in regards to the reading they are
doing, I do in class as  bellwork. I will post an open-ended question and they
have to respond to it in writing.

While this was not a perfect system, overall I have been very pleased with the
high percentage rate of students who read most nights.

I hope my experience is helpful.