Hi Darlene,
Do you think it would help if you kept the reading logs and students completed them at school?
Jan

Quoting da...@aol.com:

 Hello,

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts about the use of reading logs in my sixth grade reading/writing workshop. My homework policy is that students read 30 minutes 5 nights a week or 150 minutes a week. They are free to read any book they choose. I give students a reading log, due every Monday, that asks them to
document the minutes they read nightly, I ask them to write about their
independent reading weekly, based on the strategies and or elements of
literature we were studying. I maintain a classroom library and students have
access to the school library every 2 weeks. My problem is that my homework
completion rate is TERRIBLE. Rather , I should say that fewer than 50% of my
students regularly turn in their homework. Atwell, Miller, and many, many other
language arts teachers consider reading at home an important part of their
reading program. I am tempted to drop the the reading log requiremnent, but I don't want to "dumb down" my expectations for my students who are predominantly
blue collar and poor. I want students to have some accountability, but at the
same time I don't want to make the homework process so cumbersome that it turns my students off to reading independently. What are your experiences and insights that can help? Thank you.
Darlene Kellum