It was the best year ever in my career (17+ years -I am retired now) in
dealing with homework.  It was a no pressure, everyone could be successful
"assignment".  The love of reading grew so much in my class that year and I
believe it was from self-choice and having conversations about not only
about the book, but also about ourselves as readers and reading in general.
 I would often hear comments like "I want to be your partner today -I have
to tell you about my book" in line as we were walking into the classroom.
 Kids really learned about each other's likes and dislikes about reading and
genre.  It was a happy year!
Jan
You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your
grandmother.
-Albert Einstein
"*If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward,
then we are a sorry lot indeed.*" Albert Einstein