From: mosaic-bounces+mfoltermann=denisonisd....@literacyworkshop.org
[mailto:mosaic-bounces+mfoltermann=denisonisd....@literacyworkshop.org] On
Behalf Of Cindy Brovold
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 8:55 AM
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Independent Reading

Evelia,
Great question, and as a Literacy Coach, I strongly encourage you to find time
in your day for independent reading.  There's a lot of research at your
fingertips (the web) that will guide you in deciding what your instructional
purpose will be.  Your goal in your students' self selection should determine
what that platform will look like, i.e. will they use leveled readers
(fluency), or have some free choices (motivation, encouragement, and possibly
comprehension).  Lori Oczkus has a lot of material available on independent
reading, as well as comprehension development.  From there, consider "The Daily
Five," by the Sisters.  With the D5, a very solid managerial procedure is put
in place that allows you to include the 5 essential components of literacy.  In
that framework, students work on reading to self, reading with others,
listening to read, work on writing and word works.  Two of the most beneficial
managerial elements in the sisters program are building stamina (focused
reading time), and picking just right books.  Also, the kids love it!  One last
thought, as students read independently, offer time for them to talk about what
they are reading.  In doing so you develop motivation and a language that
encourages life long reading.

--

*Cindy Brovold*
*Reading Coach*

"Literacy is not a luxury; it is a right and a responsibility. If our world is
to meet the challenges of the twenty-first century we must harness the
energy and creativity of all our citizens."      *President Clinton*