I teach first grade, and I have my students whisper read.  I call it
self-selected whisper reading.  They take 3-5 books to their special
self-selected station.  Sometimes they read in pairs.  They are beginning
to write down connections on post its.  They read for 25-35 minutes.

Marianne
Charleston, SC