From: mosaic-bounces+deatonc=laramie1....@literacyworkshop.org
[mosaic-bounces+deatonc=laramie1....@literacyworkshop.org] On Behalf Of Renee
[phoenix...@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Friday, December 02, 2011 8:13 AM
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Independent Reading

Marsha,

I have never taught middle school so I am unfamiliar with the
scheduling from a first hand perspective, nor have I taught using the
"Daily Five" so I have limited experience here, but I am wondering
whether you might think in terms of "doing" the five parts over a three
day period, and then again over the last two days of the week? Could it
be that some component of the daily five needs daily attention? that
one could be every day? As I said, I am not familiar with the details,
but I do believe that where there is a will, there is a way, and also
that every teacher might do things a different way according to what
works for them.

Renee

On Nov 30, 2011, at 10:11 AM, Foltermann, Marsha wrote:

> I have a question regarding Daily Five. First, let me say I attended a
> one day workshop last summer and have read both books.  I am very
> frustrated!! I teach middle school and each class is approximately 48
> minutes. I cannot figure how to break that time into five parts. I had
> actually planned to incorporate a Daily THREE: "R" reading; "W"
> writing; and "WW" word work.  I cannot pull it off! I wish I could
> have someone come into my classroom and show me how to do it. I guess
> I am not disciplined or organized--don't' know.
> My question----Does anyone have suggestions or recommendations for me?
> Is there anyone out there that is able to incorporate the D5 plan into
> the middle school time frame?????
>
> Mrs. Marsha Foltermann
> 6th grade, ELAR
> 903-462-7307
> For a conference, please call the office:  903-462-7200
>
> mfolterm...@denisonisd.net

"Sometimes it's a little better to travel than to arrive."
~ Robert Pirsig