On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 8:13 PM, Terry Decker <deckerteac...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> Linda,    I don't get to use much volunteer help in my Title 1
> setting--time frames are sticky.  I did use them much as you suggest when I
> taught a regular classroom.  We do train "educated" volunteers to work in
> our after-school reading intervention program.  There is always good reason
> for caring adults to be involved with kids--hence the rationale for SMART
> reading.  It certainly doesn't replace explicit instruction, but it does
> help.  Our after-school volunteers are trained to work with children as
> you've outlined, plus we taught them a system for working with vocabulary
> and questioning for comprehension.     Thanks for the volunteer angle,
> which does really help students who come from homes where parents don't
> read with them.
> Terry

Hi Terry, I have to ask -- do you meant "smart reading" as in, from BC's
Susan Close? Just wondering. (She's amazing; a hero from my past.) On
googling, that's what I get (hers). It seems like it'd be obvious all
schools should work the volunteer angle much more as in after school --
*except* it's just one of those "one thing too many" kind of things --
everyone is maxed out. I don't think anyone here attempts after-school, but
we do have a lot of "one-to-one" volunteer programs during the school day.

Thanks!

Linda