This is happening all over the country. YES, our children are SO MUCH
MORE than data and, as teachers, we have the chance to "listen" to their
reading, observe how they arrive at their comprehension decisions, read
their writing and observe how they function as living. human beings.
When I consider the "baggage" of poverty so many of my children bring to
the classroom, I am SIMPLY AMAZED by their capabilities. That being
said, they (students) and we (teachers) can always improve--always
strive to reach the next level. Isn't that why they call it "learning?"
It is sad that our colleagues (and administrators) will stand by and say
nothing because of fear of reprimand or even worse. We're so busy
working toward the Common Core Standards--maybe, we need to work on
plain, old-fashioned, COMMON SENSE! Thanks for continuing to use your
"heart" (along with your "head") when you teach!

>>> Beverlee Paul <beverleep...@gmail.com> 5/25/2012 8:22 PM >>>
Believe me, many of us know exactly how you feel!!  And in regard to
your
colleagues, remember this quote by Martin Luther King:  In the end, we
will
remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our
friends.<http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/26954.html>
[image: [info]]
<http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/26954.html>[image:
[add]]
<http://www.quotationspage.com/myquotations.php?add=26954>[image:
[mail]] <http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/26954.html#email>
*Martin Luther King Jr.*

--
‎"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is
not