Hi Susan,

I evaluated the student using the QRI-5. The word lists indicated that
she was capable of reading independently at grade level 4, but
comprehension analysis of the passages showed that to be instructional
at best. She performed best with a familiar narrative. Interestingly,
an expository passage at grade level 3 came in at the frustration
level. She doesn't seem to have difficulty with accuracy or
automaticity.

Across the board she was better able to answer explicit questions than
implicit, but only just. In regard to the familiar text some of her
answers could not be used because they were from prior knowledge and
not within the text. She also was very, very reluctant to look back.
None of her answers changed with a look-back. She glanced at the text
for a moment and then said she had nothing to add. I know that's not a
trait exclusive to children working with ADHD!

Yes, she chose the book and is really into it. We just started working
together last week. We took turns reading; she has some brief
journaling assignments due for me today. I like the idea of having her
jot down key ideas or sketching while I read. I have some webs that we
can use for visualizing main ideas v details too.

Thanks for your advice!
Meghan