Terry, you noted, "the problem might also be the ability to visualize,
which exacerbates the ADHD." The program, Visualizing and Verbalizing, by
Nanci Bell, is excellent in this respect. As teachers (most often we were
also 'good at school') we have trouble imagining just how low some of our
kids are, and how little support for visualizing (imagining) they may have
had in the way of verbal play with parents etc.

http://www.ganderpublishing.com/Visualizing-and-Verbalizing/Introduction.html

Terry, your response reminded me of this -- in the program you essentially
take turns. You hold up a big, simple, picture (you have picked from a
package, turned away from you, so you don't see what it is) and get a
student in the group to tell you a sentence about it. As good readers, we
automatically 'flesh out' the story from every sentence *and* make
adjustments as the paragraphs go by. ("Oh -- in the carport, not the yard"
or whatever.) You take the turn first, to model this activity, saying:
"Your words make me picture...." etc.). The students immediately realize,
another sentence is needed to refine *your* picture you've imagined and
just described to them.

I have adapted it for use with a whole class (typically at grades three and
up) but it is designed for smaller group work. Starts super simple -- but
surprising how much the kids buy into it; they enjoy it because it's easy
and kind of game-like. After some group work, we do it in partners, etc.

I agree it's in the comprehension area the ADHD kids miss out -- and by
middle grades have developed a habit of not really picturing etc. ("shrug"
is kind of what you get).

Linda Rightmire
SD #73 Kamloops, BC