David Tenser wrote:
> I'm starting to understand that more and more. But why is that really?
> How come several developers and hundreds of fellow coders out there on a
> massive open source project can't outsmart simple programs like Outlook
> Express when it comes to functionality?

Two reasons:
1.  Nobody at the wheel; no project management whatsoever.
2.  AOL.

> Of course, one reason could be that the main focus is the browser
> itself, not the side programs.

That's also part of it, but a) the browser still is no great shakes, and
b) like you say...

 > But still, so many people have been
> working with this project for so long. It really should be much more
> feature complete than it is.

...exactly.  This isn't rocket science, it's brain surgery.  There's
simply no excuse (though you'll hear no end of them) for Mozilla to be
so far behind the competition and in fact *its own previous incarnation*
(NC4.7x).  *Especially* the email/newsreader.

> I'm starting to sound like I don't like Mozilla, but that's not true. I
> love to be able to use an alternative to Microsofts products that really
> works! I just wish I could get rid of IE/OE completely.

Amen.  Mozilla clearly will never be the replacement, but amen.