Actually, I'd hold off on that one for a while still. As I'm informed, the
MPEG-4 audio standard isn't 100% set yet, and the specific AAC format has
become synonymous with Apple's derivement of the MPEG-4 audio
specifications. My brother has a Mac, and when he started using AAC a couple
of months ago, I became interested too, and started playing around with it.
I tried a series of different "AAC" encoders, of which none of them produced
the same format, and none of them could produce anything I could play in
Media Center. Apple's AAC played fine, though. As far as quality goes, it
sounds really good at 128kbps, but to my ears (wearing $300 Sennheisers) not
better than OGG Vorbis. If you're really looking for an alternative to MP3,
OGG Vorbis would be my recommendation. It's open source, free to use,
cross-platform, 100% scalable ("peelable") (block size can be any arbitrary
size, not 32/40/48 etc. like MP3/4, and when it streams, it'll give exactly
as much quality as the bandwidth allows), it gives you true gapless
encoding, and at very low bitrates I have heard none better. Not to mention,
it sports 32-bit floating point encoding (for us who make music), and
multiple tracks.

Just my two cents =)

Daniel

--
There are 10 kinds of people: Those who know binary and those who don't.