> > The AAC standard has been set since 1997.
>
> AAC+SBR has been around since 1997!?  OK, didn't think so :-)

I said AAC. SBR is just an extension, AAC is still the same.

> Both AAC and Vorbis continue to evolve.  Both have revved
> spec in recent years.  You can claim AAC has been around
> since 1997, but the spiffy low bitrate AAC stuff available
> today would not decode on an original 1997 AAC decoder any
> more than a spiffy low-bitrate Vorbis would decode on a 1997
> Ogg decoder.

Yes, the "old" AAC decoders do decode it, but not with the same output :)
And an AAC file encoded now decodes on an AAC decoder from 1997, when the
spec was set. (Ok, maybe except for a little typo fix in the standard, in a
part that has never been used by any company).

> I've reviewed this encoder and at 64kbps, it does indeed
> sound better than current Vorbis (Vorbis still wins at higher
> rates).  No beating around the bush there.  That said, it
> wasn't as good as I was expecting; I thought Vorbis would
> have to go through the next planned spec rev to catch up, but
> after hearing AAC+SBR, I believe it's a matter of tuning in a
> minor release.  Next major Vorbis rev (V II) will just have
> to be content at making it embarrassing is all ;-)

Well, our codec's development hasn't stopped either :)

> The tech edge goes back and forth; Vorbis has held it over
> AAC for the past few years.  AAC has now leapfrogged.. well,
> at low bitrate anyway. AAC is still unspectacular without
> SBR.  Vorbis will leapfrog at low bitrate again and I'll try
> to keep our fanboys from getting too out of hand when that
> happens.  But make no mistake; Vorbis is taking AAC and MPEG
> head on, and we're in this race for the long haul.

True, and competetion is never a bad thing :)
I'll be waiting for your minor release.

I think the quality of Vorbis and AAC at higher bitrates is not that far
apart. Actually, I think lots of people will claim AAC is better than Vorbis
at those bitrates (probably just as much as the number of people that claim
the other way around).

> > The MPEG-4 file format supports multiple tracks as well.
> Next to that
> > AAC has proper multichannel support.
>
> Rebutted this dig in a seperate mail.

Ok, I may have been misinformed there :) Sorry.

Menno