Hello,

>Yeah it is incorrect :)

I stand corrected then =)

>MPEG-2 AAC vs. MPEG-4 AAC? What's uncompliant about that. Both are
different
>specifications so they can differ (they don't except for a bit set to 1 in
>the ADTS header). And MPEG-4 AAC introduced 2 new coding tools not
available
>in MPEG-2 AAC.

Yeah, it's little things, but as long as those little things have
importance, I for one am gonna wait a little, at least as long as I have
alternative more "proven" formats, like OGG and MP3 (when you have LAME you
don't need AAC that much, but if you have RealOne or some other crap, you do
;). And besides, it's not all little things, like when MPEG-4 went V2 in
1999. Maybe I'm a bit paranoid, but...

>Yes, what I mean is: Is it already implemented in Vorbis? Not that I know.
>(please correct me if I'm wrong).

I've read posts on vorbis.com about people testing it, and I'm almost 100%
it's implemented in the format, but as far as I know there aren't any
(working) streaming software yet to utilize the "peeling technology".

>That's probably because the AAC tracks in the MP4 files are signalled as
>MPEG-2 AAC, which are not played back by QuickTime (don't know about Media
>Center). That's a problem in QuickTime, not in the encoder (yes, decoders
>can be uncompliant as well :) ).

I tried tweaking every setting in the encoders I downloaded, but the files
wouldn't play. But, like you say, it could be the decoder. And besides, it's
a couple of months ago, so maybe it'd work now.

>Well, here's something I heard (and did not look into for myself), but I
>heard that Vorbis has to go through some difficulties because of patents on
>this side (something with Ambisonics or something). This is what I heard
>from some knowledgable Vorbis people :)

That sounds terrible! I hope they get out of it.

I still think the best reason to choose ogg is that it's open and free.

I read a little on the link you mailed - do you know if an ISO compliant AAC
file supports gapless encoding/playback unlike ISO compliant MP3?

Cheers,
Daniel