Crap!

> Actually, I'd hold off on that one for a while still. As I'm
> informed, the MPEG-4 audio standard isn't 100% set yet, and

The AAC standard has been set since 1997.
Who informed you?

> the specific AAC format has become synonymous with Apple's
> derivement of the MPEG-4 audio specifications. My brother has

AAC is part of the MPEG-4 audio specification.
Apple just has an implementation of that.

> a Mac, and when he started using AAC a couple of months ago,
> I became interested too, and started playing around with it.
> I tried a series of different "AAC" encoders, of which none
> of them produced the same format, and none of them could

If it doesn't produce the same format it isn't an AAC standard conformant
encoder.
AAC files created with PsyTEL, FAAC, Nero, Sorensen, FhG, Dolby and Apple
all play fine with each others decoders.

> produce anything I could play in Media Center. Apple's AAC
> played fine, though. As far as quality goes, it sounds really
> good at 128kbps, but to my ears (wearing $300 Sennheisers)
> not better than OGG Vorbis. If you're really looking for an
> alternative to MP3, OGG Vorbis would be my recommendation.
> It's open source, free to use, cross-platform, 100% scalable
> ("peelable") (block size can be any arbitrary size, not

Peelable? That doesn't work yet, IIRC. AAC can be scalable as well.

> 32/40/48 etc. like MP3/4, and when it streams, it'll give

AAC is pure VBR as well.

> exactly as much quality as the bandwidth allows), it gives
> you true gapless encoding, and at very low bitrates I have
> heard none better. Not to mention, it sports 32-bit floating

Try the HE AAC codec that Ahead will release on July 18th, it kicks Vorbis
ass at low bitrates.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=10530

> point encoding (for us who make music), and multiple tracks.

The MPEG-4 file format supports multiple tracks as well. Next to that AAC
has proper multichannel support.

Bye,

Menno