On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Cactus <rieman...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I have the Windows figures - its the Linux/gcc/gas figures that I
> need.  It was Jason's K8 figures that allowed me to identify what was
> wrong on Windows and I need a similar comparison on Core2.

Have you considered something like Wubi (Ubuntu Installer for Windows):
http://wubi-installer.org/

It does not modify your partitions at all so doesn't touch Windows
except to add another boot option.  This might easily allow you to do
some tests between the Windows and Linux versions on identical
hardware.  Or you could try a Linux Live CD so you don't need to use
up any of your laptop's HD space:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Jeff.