My guess would be stalls due to unavailability of data from the cache
in time for the pipeline. Some insertions of nop's would probably make
this go away. That may or may not affect the timings on Opteron.

I suspect it is only an issue on cheaper processors like the Athlon 64
x2 and Turion 64 x2. I have one of the latter, and it would be
interesting to try out. I have linux on this machine so I could
possibly give it a go. But it might be tomorrow before I get to it.

I also have an Athlon 64 x2 at home.

It's not clear how much effort we should expend on optimisation for
home market PC's. I'm not saying we shouldn't do it. I'm just saying
it is not clear how much we should do for it.

Bill.