Dear ALL,

I have been using Dr. Gladman's msvc build-projects for a long time, and
followed his move with MPIR as from the start... What I cannot follow
anymore and this does not only apply to this thread, but others in the past
as well, is that the reason for Brian's work was to make it possible to
build GMP under MSVC. and the way I understood it that was exactly the idea
with MPIR, provide MSVC builds of GMP.

What seems to be on the rise is the idea that MinGW is some sort of standin
for native windows development, it isn't in my opinion. It's a poor man's
solution. For instance MinGW64, as far as I know, does hardly any
optimisation at all (Intel Ci7 f.e. not implemented), which for MPIR is no
problem (given the assembler), but surrounding code will suffer. Also the
upcoming VC11 C++11 support will be an important reason not to go for
something like MinGW64.

I read that it is thought to be ironic that GMP does support MinGW(32?),
but why is that an issue? MPIR is a dropin replacement for GMP, there is no
need for the opposite AFAICS. I would think GMP does perfectly fine (if and
when a build on that platform/processor combination is provided).

Hopefully I did not offend anyone, any offending remarks must be fully
attributed to my ignorance.

Cheers,