] On Thu, 16 Jul 1998 22:40:12 +0300, Alex Wulms wrote:
]
] >Stupid question perhaps, but where do you plug-in the joystick
] >to play the multi-user game if both joystick ports are used to
] >communicate with the two neighbouring computers in the ring?
] Ha! Smart observation!
]
] Some years ago, there was at Japan an artifact called Ninja
] Tap that allowed to play up to four players with a single joystick
] port. I dunno if it would have been useful for this purpose.
] However, it is out of stocks.
I gues that with a smart design (both hardware and software) we can make
something like that.

I have an even better idea. In stead of using port1 and port2 for
communication, we can also use port1 for the joystick and port2, with a
device like the Ninja Tap, for communication with the neighbouring computers.

Like in the following picture:

+----------+     +---------+              +---------+      +---------+
| comp1    p2----+  mux   p2a------------p2b  mux   +-----p2  comp2  |
|          p1-+  |        p2b--+     +---p2a        |   +-p1         |
+----------+  |  +---------+   |     |    +---------+   |  +---------+
           joy-stick           |     |               joy-stick
                               +-+ +-+
                                 | |
                                 p p
                               +-2-2-+
                               | a b |
                               | mux |
                               +--+--+
                                  |    +---------+
                                  +---p2  comp3  |
                                   +--p1         |
                                   |   +---------+
                                joy-stick

To keep the communication driver as simple as possible, we can define one
port on the multiplexer (mux) as in-only (for example p2a) and the other as
out-only (for example p2b). In this case, we have to implement a token-ring
network. A bus simply can't do because in a bus we need bi-directional
communication for the two systems on the end.

This schema can be implemented in very cheap hardware. Ofcourse, it will be a
little bit more complicated then only making a cable, but I think it still is
not too complicated. Or is it?

Kind regards,
Alex
--
Alex Wulms/XelaSoft - MSX of anders NIX - Linux 4 ever
See my homepage for info on the  *** XSA *** format