On Fri, 21 Apr 2000 03:12:31 +0200, Patriek Lesparre wrote:

>The difference isn't large IMO:
>Z80 @ 3.57Mhz, 4 T-states/opcode = 1x speed
>Z180 @ 33 Mhz, 3 T-states/opcode = ~9.2x and ~1.3x = ~12x speed
>Z380 @ 14 Mhz, 2 T-states/opcode = 4x and 2x = 8x speed
>Z380 is 800% the speed of Z80, while Z180 is only 50% faster than the Z380.
>This is ofcourse not a real-world calculation. In a real-world the Z380
>would perform closer to the Z180 because its a generally faster processor
>and the Z180 is only faster because of the 2.5x greater clockspeed.
>Z380 doesn't seem to be faster than R800 @ 7 MHz, but in reality will
>probably run about twice as fast as turboR, since I've learned (from Alex
>Wulm's article) R800 is often slowed down by memory.

 You had just forgot the bus speed at 33Mhz will be faster than on 18Mhz. (-:

>>I do not dislike the Z380, but I do dislike the things like putting your
>>processor in an expansion slot and not having direct access to old hardware.
>So you'd rather want a complete new motherboard that will have to be
>inserted in a PC-case?!

  The ACE002 doesn't need to be placed inside a PC case. It has, actually,
a board of 15x15cm. You can put it inside a PC keyboard!

>See above, if you think the an extra 50% is gonna make 'a really large
>difference' over the already 800% increase, vote for Z180. But Z380 is
>still president in my book :)

  Nothing was proposed to be "voted".

>Why not? I could name several people that stopped developing MSX programs,
>or didn't START developing just because they didn't want to bother to use
>or learn Z80 assembly.

  Many people program MSX using basic. No body droped MSX because had to
program in ASM.

>The same counts for FM-PAC, MSX2, hell even DISKDRIVES! It's the same as
>what I said above... If everyone sticks with the old, there will never be
>any new!

  Kick something is one thing. Kick EVERYTHING but the name is something
a lot different.

>Some things require high processing power, for instance MP3 replayers :)
>I bet a Z380 could do it! But not in Z80-legacy code!

 Z180 can do it while being compatible with Z80! (-:

>Z180 nah... Only Z380, and to a less extent eZ80, allows great speedups
>when run in 'full' mode. The Z180 just doesn't have a lot of nice speedy
>opcodes!
>In other words there's only a minimal difference between programming Z180
>in legacy code or in full Z180 assembly.

  50% minimal? Wow! 800% to 1200% is minimal? Ok, you win.

     AbraçOS/2, Daniel Caetano ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

...!m.tag
OS/2 Sites:     http://www.quasarbbs.com/daniel/
                http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/8752/os2hp/os2index.html
MSX Sites:      http://www.fudeba.cjb.net/