Hmm.. I didn't read all new msg for today, so probably someone came up with
something like this too, but I need to react to this tracker-chat. !

>Trackers are used only to make dance music and
>similar.

300% bullshit !! What you mean is that the USERS only do dance music.
That's their problem.. Trackers are the ONLY utils that come close to
classic-note-notation. Forget about the score-view of cubase/logic.. this
isn't the right place to compose, only to prepare a score when your stuff
has to be played by live-instrumentalists. Forget about the
bars-in-which-you-record-notes too, this is slow, you don't see what you're
doing, and it has to be done live. Now: this is good for jazz-ppl who are
familiar to improvisations, but I personally think 20 times before I put a
note somewhere.. so I don't have the time to come-up with something
real-time. Well, then there is a microscope editor too, well, this would be
a nice place to compose, but then again: you ARE using the midi-util as
tracker here.. :) but then WITHOUT all comfort trackers give !

If you compare average it/xm/mod/s3m's to what you here from a big synth
with midi: think of the following:

+ An average/good synth (lets take a JV2080 as average) has about 16mb or
maybe 32mb of rom samples (depends on expansion cards too)
- a tracker features often less then 1mb of samples, based on the GUS memory
   and based on the fact that you don't just download 32mb from the i-net ;)
    and based on the fact that these tunes are used in demo's which are mostly
   about 3-8 mb.. INCLUDING code and gfx/anims.

+ A good synth has dsp onboard (reverb/chorus etc.)
- a classic-tracker doesn't

+ A good synth has about 64-128 channels these days..
- a classic tracker has 16/32, IT has visual: 64 / internal: 255

+ A good synth has filters etc.
- a classic tracker doesn't

Now: IMAGINE what happens when a tracker suddenly DOES support all this
features!! I give you a promise here that there is NO-ONE on earth with a
cubase-based system who is faster than for example me with a good tracker..
and if you think this goes to far :) -> challange me !

:-)

Will there be such a tracker ? -> Impulse Tracker III  !
With Alesis involved and a salesman who deals with xxx.000.000 $ business
cases, take this thingy serious !

>This is I think about trackers:
>
>FT2 is bullshit.

personally: yes :)

>ST3 is bullshit.

well: NOW .. a bit ok, but is *was* good

>IT is bullshit.

Hehe :) ppl who know me can guess what I think of this :)
Lets just say that I used IT to score big orchestral pieces for (small)
movies, TV series, pop songs, (Ixalance)commercials.. so.. it ain't
excactly bullshit.

>MoonBlaster is BIG BULLSHIT.

hmm.. MB was fun for fm-pac/musmod
MBwave/FM is very limited to my opinion.

Not everyone is a professional in the
>music industry and doesn't need
>more than a "simple" tracker.

again: this ONLY depends on the user !

>why else are we still use it and not some
>10 kazillion gigahertz pc........

I wish I had one of those pc's :)   10 kazillion gigahertz :))

>to speak about music editors because there is no
>good programs for MSX. It would be nice if we
>had a good music editor.

does anyone use oracle ?? seems a strange question as I'm of fuzzy logic
and came up with alot of ideas.. I never used it :))

>Could you imagine if we got the editor used by
>Microcabin?  We only can dream of this.

psg does alot ! and volume-instrument-change + note per step

psg does the most

I don't agree at all ..... Trackers are BAD
>because they have 'phisical' limitations.
>Using a tracker, MoonBlaster for example,
>I cannot make irregular groups like
>triplets, etc., I can't record live phrases,

with some tricks you can, in programs like st3/it

>sample ram, ever heard of it?

yes !  my biggest tune up till now is 56mb... enough ? (it)

well.. it's a bit off-topic by now... :)

cu..

Maarten van Strien,
  * composer
  * sounddesigner
  * Ixalance-sound developer
http://www.shortcut.nl/
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Shortcut Software Development B.V.
Julianaweg 9, 3603 AP Maarssen, The Netherlands.
Phone: ++31 (0) 346 579 659
Fax: ++31 (0) 346 579 745