On Jan 13, 2009, at 5:30 PM, lion wrote:

Thanks again for your informations.
I have a last thing want to be confirmed that the commands defined in ISO7816-4 are not a standard? All commands are card dependent ? (Although sometimes different types may have the same commands set).

There are a set of commands that are defined in various parts of ISO-7816 that are a standard, although it is the case that not all cards implement all commands. For example if you have a card without a filesystem on it, it probably won't implement the filesystem commands. Or, you may have a card that can do a VerifyPIN operation but does not use
the defined VerifyPIN APDU that is specified in ISO-7816.

The root cause of all this mess is because none of the smartcard manufacturers were mature enough to want to work *together* (rather than at cross- purposes) when the technology was being developed decades ago, so everyone gave lip service to the
"standards" and went off and did their own thing anyway.

I'm amazed that they could agree on a common set of contact pad functionality (in
most cases ;-) and a common voltage!

I am looking the OPENCT sourece,

That's good, also look at OpenSC as well, and look over at the MUSCLE code, there's
lots of good stuff in all those areas.

Oh, if you want *my* advice - I would get into pig farming rather than smartcard programming, it's a lot more rewarding and you can bring home the bacon at the end of the day ;-)

mike

----

Thanks again!
-----
bob

If you don't know what type of card you have, then just sending random APDUs to the card won't do you much good, and you may wind up locking up the card and rendering
it useless.

In your example, you are looking at a Gemalto forum, do you think that your card is a
Gemalto card of some type?

> You can try some common APDUs that work with OpenPlatform JavaCard
So, I don't know here what commands I can use ?

Do a Google search for "OpenPlatform" or have a look at the OpenSC sources for
example to find more information on APDUs that you can use.

And in my opinion, most of the commands in ISO7816-4 should SELECT FILE at first.
So, I  just try to implement the SELECT FILE command.

Well, why do you think that you need to do a SELECT FILE at first? Some cards don't have any type of filesystem at all, so a SELECT FILE won't do anything with those types
of cards.

mike

----