Michael Bender wrote:

> The root cause of all this mess is because none of the smartcard
> manufacturers were
> mature enough to want to work *together* (rather than at cross-purposes)
> when the
> technology was being developed decades ago, so everyone gave lip service
> to the
> "standards" and went off and did their own thing anyway.

I had a discussion about this with a Gemalto VP a couple of years ago.
His response was "I've got to feed my kids."  :)

None of the card manufacturers are happy about the commoditization of
smartcards, and I can't really blame them.  However, the big government
efforts changed the rules, and they're stuck with it.

-- Tim